Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

What's On in Limerick

There are a number of venues in Limerick that have a host of events on to choose from. One of my favourite is the Belltable Arts Centre, going since 1981. 


My Dad's mum brought me there in '81 to see Swan Lake. I really didn't want to go and protested all the way there, however i was captivated by the beautiful dancing (being a ballet student and all) and the feeling of ceremony and how important we were made feel. 

I didn't go to the Belltable again for many more years, this time it was to see Kevin McAleer. It was hilarious and again i was struck by that feeling of "going out" for a special event.

I've begun to bring my little one (of 14) to shows now, this time she get's to see the inner workings of stage productions, even meeting a few of the actors. I know she doesn't get the same feeling as I did but she is captivated by the shows that requires her to use her imagination. 

Don't wait until the young audience is older, get them in the door to enjoy the variety of shows that are on, get them using there imagination rather than being spoon fed dialogue. 

If you want to know what's on at the Belltable, just follow the link.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... i never admitted to my Gran, Mum or anyone else that I actually enjoyed Swan Lake... stubborn or what!

No comments: